Archaeology in CilentoJust the names of the ancient cities Paestum, Velia and Roccagloriosa immediately bring to mind their historical importance. Real open-air museums full of important architectural treasures of the greek and roman ages. Every year many people come from all over the world to admire the temples, burial grounds and amphitheatres.
It is possible to relive Cilento history and culture in different museums
- The National Archaeological Museum in Paestum exhibit finds of archaeological excavations in Paestum and ruins of Hera's sanctuary at the mouth of the Sele river. The most famous find is "Tomba del Tuffatore" (The Tomb of the Diver)
- The Peasant Civilization Museum in Moio della Civitella is an extensive exhibition of rural culture and tradition.
- The Peasant Culture Ethnographic Museum in Morigerati houses textile and wooden handworks, typical tools, earthenware, holy hangings and missals.
- The Antiquarium in Palinuro houses finds of prehistoric ages. It is interesting to observe the stratification of settlements typical of this zone.
- Some interesting museums: Sea and Mediterranean diet Museum in Pioppi. Alburni Naturalistic Museum in Corleto Monforte. Poor Toy Museum in Massicelle. Vico Museum in Vatolla. Herb Museum in Teggiano. Cilento Natural History Museum in Laureana Cilento.